Orange County, Florida

Copyright © 1999-2015 Orange County FLGenWeb

Orange County FLGenWeb: Town Descriptions from the 1887 Orange County Directory

This is not yet a complete listing, but a work in progress.

Clay Springs

Population 100. This is a newly organized place, first settled in November, 1885. Situated thirteen miles north of Orlando, the county seat and nearest banking point. This place is three and a half miles from Apopka, at the head waters of the Wekiva river, from which point it is navigable to the St. Johns River. The Wekiva River furnishes excellent water power at this place. There is a hotel, school and Methodist Church; a steam saw mill and orange wine manufactory, one store and various other pursuits. This was selected as a site with a view to making it a health resort as well as a place of business and pleasure. The spring is large, and the water which boils up out of the ground, is for the most part sulphur. Oranges and vegetables are grown in abundance.

Zellwood

The Home of the Orange

A Place Where Health, Wealth and Prosperity is Universal

This thriving village is located on the line of the Tavares, Orlando & Atlantic Railroad, 24 miles northwest of Orlando, the county seat. The town site is surrounded by lovely lakes and beautiful orange groves. Zellwood has its churches, schools and society organizations that compare favorably with any place in the State, and the citizens are among the foremost in the land, intelligent, courteous and enterprising. The quality of the land surrounding Zellwood, is of the very best that can be found in the State, producing oranges and vegetables, corn, oats and other field crops in lucrative yield. Fruits and vegetables, however, form the principal industry of the farming community in this section. There are express and telegraph offices located here, and its railroad advantages place Zellwood in direct communication with every section of the State. Unlike many Florida towns, this little city seeks no popularity, but is content with its steady and permanent growth, that comes to it by natuarl means and through unsought channels.

In 1876 the town of Zellwood was first settled, and its present population is estimated at about 400. The prinicpal shipments are oranges and vegetables, and the main pursuits are mercantile. Any one who may chance to favor this place with a visit, will always find a welcome among its citizens.